I guess I never quite understood how a person could spend all day reading a book. I never understood how ink on a page had the ability to practically pause everything around you -- as if the world could stop revolving. I don't think anyone can really understand this concept until they have experienced it for themselves. You see, reading is an experience that is not passive, which is why a book burrows into your life in a very profound way. I began to read as a young girl, probably in my early elementary school years. My teachers attempted to inspire a stubborn little girl to read and find the beauty within a book. Of course, I was more interested in making friends and creating "masterpieces" of macaroni art. However, the instant I noticed that my brother became more interested in reading than ever before, I copied his actions. After all, what was I supposed to do? Having a brother seven years older than myself definitely put me in a "monkey-see-monkey-do" position. So, I began to read. And I read. And read. I read until I actually started to enjoy reading. I began to volunteer at the local library and spent hours on end in the establishment. I didn't necessarily prefer one genre over another -- as long as it was a book, it'd be in my hands. Then, inevitably, I entered high school. Teachers expected me to read classics, enjoy them, understand them, analyze them, and have the ability to take a test over the book in a month's time. I guess I should have expected this, but I wasn't ready. I mean, I've always been a slower reader because English isn't my first language. But, in my opinion, the due dates for the novels were ridiculous. I stopped reading for pleasure. I read with the intention of finishing a novel in time for the exam. I had no time for my own novel selections and lost my creative side entirely. So, I suppose that is where my story ends. Now, I'm enrolled in this class and I have the ability to read any book I choose. I'm hoping that this semester's experience will allow me to rediscover the avid reader inside me. I'll keep you posted.
No comments:
Post a Comment