April 15, 2012

Reading Log 4

So this past week I've been reading Tina Fey's hilarious novel, Bossypants. I really love how Fey's voice pierces through the page -- as if she could actually be sitting right next to me and chatting. The part of the book that I really love is that point at which she states that human curiosity often drives people over the edge. To back her generalized point up, she tells stories about people questioning the origin of her facial scar. Even though the scar is something so obvious, people are always trying to help her cover it up, when all she actually wants to do is embrace it. When they ask her how she got it, they expect a simple story, such as one involving some Leggos and an aggressive older brother. But no, that's not what happened. In fact, Fey's childhood was broken due to the traumatic experience. One day, walking home from school, a man attacked Fey and slashed her face. Although this experience is horrid and graphic, Fey shares it as if it is nothing -- just as a child recalls a lazy Sunday afternoon by the lake.

I am excited to continue reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment